Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bunraku


I got to go to a really cool workshop today. Last semester I learned about this ancient Japanese puppet theatre called Bunraku. They have these gorgeous puppets that blink their eyes, move their fingers and look so realistic, and they are operated by 3 master puppeteers on each one. They put on classic Japanese tales and they are so cool! Well today instead of having my Children's Theatre class, this troupe came in from the University of Missouri who sends students to Japan to be trained on the puppets and they tour the country doing shows. So we got to learn about them and play with them, it was sooo neat! I so badly want to make one! I didn't take my camera, unfortunately, so I found some pictures online to show everyone what they look like. Seriously cool!




1 comment:

Alie and James said...

That sounds really neat. I have never heard of Bunraku before.