Saturday, July 19, 2008

A few Thoughts...

As we are coming to the end of what has been an extremly long, tiring, stressful, and just awful job and living experience, I have a few thoughts on life and philosophies to live by:

1. Old people are some of the meanest people I know, period. Yesturday an older guest came to the office and actually threw down a pair of his pants and demanded that I send them out for dry cleaning. (Hmmm, yes that is a regular service offered here at the Days Inn) When I refused and told him to go to the laundry mat himself, he looked at me and said "Wow, you just can't do anything right can you?" See what I mean? MEAN PEOPLE!!!

2. Mormons are the rudest,most stuck up, and demanding people I know. Yes this is a sad truth, but a truth none the less.... " Do you have an LDS discount? Where is the milk? What, no eggs? How dare you serve coffee in an LDS town, it is an insult! Watch my grandkids while we go to the temple. I Demand 25% off because we only got three towels! You have smoking rooms, why? I have six kids under the age of 5 and four adults, why can't we all share one room? There is a wrinkle in the sheet so I am assuming it has not been changed, so change it and the other bed as well just in case. ( This list could go on and on, but let's stop so we can still have faith that not all mormons are bad, and yes I am aware that I am one :)

3. Other people's kids are the most annoying in the world. They spill hot chocolate all over the lobby because their parents let them get it 10 times a day unsupervised. They take all of the breakfast ( eyes bigger than stomach statement is definately a factor here) They play football around the cars and wonder why I have to go confiscate their ball. They run around at all hours of the night ( Is there some kind of "Let your children run free" parenting rule that I don't know about?)

4. College students are stupid. (which is kindof an ironic statement)
Student: Are you guys hiring?
Stephanie: Yes, it is part time, and you have to be willing to work Sundays.
Student: Oh I can't do that thanks.

Does everyone think that the world should stop on Sundays?!? I realize it is ideal to not work on Sundays, but good grief the amount of students that blatently refuse is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. I mean come on, Deseret Book can only have so many employees which means you are going to have to work on Sunday!

I have also seen 4 people in the last year get hit by cars by the hotel from not looking and running across the street, one of those people actually died which was horrible but could have easily been prevented.

More stupid college student quotes: "We are doing a scavenger hunt, can we have some shampoos and towels?" " Can we use your pool? Why not?" (I had some college girls, wearing string bikinis in the pool who lied to me and said their dad was a guest here, when I went to check on the name they grabbed their stuff and ran!) "A room is how much? Thats ridiculous, I can't afford that! Don't you have a BYUI Discount?

5. Hotel owners just want to make money. (This one is obvious, we don't need to elaborate.)

6. One nice gesture can make your whole day: I have had people leave me big tips and tell us how great we are. Some people talk to us for hours and even offer us careers when we leave here. Little moms visiting thier kids here will give me presents for helping them. It only takes one nice person to make the tons of bad ones dissappear.

Misc: Once caught two college students hiding in a storage closet making out.
Once caught two college nerds playing D & D in the storage closet.
Got threatened by a man because his key cards wouldn't work, so I yelled back.
Have saved two abandoned dogs here.
Have made life long friends here.
Am more than ready to move from here, 12 days and counting!

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Its very sad that some of the meanest people in the world are lds. Joseph Smith once said, "Some of the most dangerous people in the world are members of the Church" They take the little power and authority that they have and they abuse it. Not everyone can handle the knowledge that they have been given. They will be held accountable for that. The world would be a much better place if we would all remember to just be nice!

Post-it Notes said...

My email address is theduboisfamily@hotmail.com Please feel free to use it!!

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post-it Notes said...

Please send me your email address. I think we have a few things to discuss

Lauritzen Lovin' said...

Steph you should be an author! I don't know if I was so intrigued by that post because I worked there with you for a time, or if it's because I care about you guys, or if it is just the damn truth! haha. probably all of the above. I'm glad you are done with that place. Sorry I couldn't stay there longer with ya!